ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have incorrectly claimed tax credits

Customer Question

I have incorrectly claimed tax credits
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please may I ask - how much is the overpayment?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just re read my question and it's not clear. I am in such a state I can't think. I have been issued with a compliance check to say that I have another male linked to my address and they are asking for the details. The male does live at the house and we co own it but are not in a relationship. It is a house share ownership for support security and financial convenience on both parts. We jointly own the property and split household expenses 50 50 he pays £500 pm mortgage and I pay the same on household bills. I think they will not believe me and will say I have benn committing fraud. I have clinical depression and borderline personality disorder and have made several suicide attempts since the letter came. He is an armed forces veteran with ptsd it was the only way we could afford somewhere to live that was secure in the area we know well. At 45 it's hard to get a mortgage on your own. Am distraught.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I claimed as a single person for 2 children. He does not give me any monies to support me nor does he take care of my children. They stay with me 4 nights a week.
Thank you for your response.
You need to engage with the compliance check.
It is likely that it you are claiming as a single person they will want to make sure that you are not in a relationship.
You should outline everything that you have said to me.
I am attaching some guidance to assist you in respect of the criteria that HMRC use when deciding whether a claim should be a single claim or not:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tctmanual/TCTM09340.htm
It is important that you consider this guidance so that you can be sure that you are truly single. From what you have said so far it appears as though HMRC would consider that you are single but you need to be honest with them in respect of your situation.
Kind Regards
Caroline
If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will engage with the compliance check but due to my ill health I'm not sure I can carry on if things get really messy. It would be very hard to prove we are "just friends" as we support each other so much because of our ill health. We do not have any joint accounts etc. and have separate cars etc. to what extent would they investigate my personal circumstances. I already have social workers mental health experts etc trawling over my life!
I am so sorry to hear about these difficulties.
It is my advice that you study the guidance carefully so that you know your position in respect of the view of HMRC as to whtehr you are single or not.
Perhaps your social worker might be able to offer you some support in this regard.
Kindest Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the guidance.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Take Care
Caroline