29905560

I wish to close down my electrical contracting business, do

I wish to close down my electrical contracting business, do i have pay my employees redundancy money or, can i gift them the company van and all contents plus the offer to continue to benefit from my ongoing work enquiries which i will pass on to them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.]
How long have they worked there now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you need more information
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you spoken to them, are they willing to accept that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have spoken to them and i do not know if they accept it? where do i stand if they do not accept it?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. If you are closing the company down, then you will be making these workers redundant and by law you must pay them a redundancy payment if they meet the necessary criteria. This would mainly require them to have at least 2 years’ continuous service with the employer but as long as they meet that then they should be entitled t a redundancy payment. Providing them with non-cash benefits does not remove your liability to make a redundancy payment so unfortunately you cannot replace this requirement by offering them a van, stock or business leads. You will still have to pay them the following sums on termination:
• Redundancy payment
• Contractual notice period
• Accrued holidays
If you do not pay them they can potentially make a claim in the employment tribunal to pursue what they are owed.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'