12826847

A relative, 77, is attending a magistrate's court next Wednesday

A relative, 77, is attending a magistrate’s court next Wednesday and will be pleading guilty to driving without due care and attention. Which court official could we write to, at our behest, not hers, to let them know about all her selfless voluntary community work for many years, mostly involving car use, to hopefully temper the judgement/penalty. Thanks in advance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello what were the circumstances of the offence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my relative went thru red on a pedestrian crossing and hit a pedestrian who had started to cross. The pedestrian sustained bruising and slight scarring,w as unable to work for a few weeks and will likely sue my relative which should be covered by insurance. However my relative is pleading guilty and we just want the magistrate/court to be aware of her good qualities and hopefully not stop her from driving for a period as it would be unlikely she would use a car again. Before this, she has been driving for about 25 years and is clean apart from a not excessive speeding offence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She learnt to drive when she was widowed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
So are you asking if you can provide a character reference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither I or any other relatives will provide a character reference but the CEO of a deafness related charity is willing to do so. My relative was Chair of the of Board of Trustees for this charity for several years and then for several years she has been a very active volunteer for the charity which involves regular visits to care homes where she services and cleans people's hearing aids. Separately she and friends also provide homeless lunches every six weeks for up to 30 people
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think what we need to know is to whom the CEO's letter should be sent. Clerk to the Court perhaps? Also if she were unable to mail the letter in time could it be handed in on the day by either my relative's son or daughter who will be with her on the day.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You don't sent it to anybody.
You just write a character reference and hand it to her for her to hand it to the court. You can just address it to whom it may concern.
It would be better anyway to attend court in order to give evidence of her character rather than write a letter but if that isn't possible then a letter will be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my relative does not anyone to think that she asked for the character reference to be produced, which is indeed the situation. Must it be her who hands the letter to the court or could her son or daughter who hands it to the court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, it really needs to be her or her solicitor.
Her son or daughter wouldn't have any rights of audience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks very much and goodnight
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice