29905560

My car is worth 40 k it was insuranced. It was at a garage

Hi my car is worth 40 k it was insuranced. It was at a garage and the garage was burnt down
My own insurance says my insurance was invalid because I didn't disclose modifications
. So who is responsible for my loss and replacing my car
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What caused the fire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An arson attack someone broke in and set the building on fire 7 other cars in there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was engine modifications I had
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
In these circumstances you would have had to rely on your insurance to cover the loss of the vehicle. The garage cannot be held responsible because it was not their negligence which caused the fire and it was a malicious act by a third party, over which they had no control. So unless you can show that the garage was negligent in its actions and that negligence caused the fire (which is unlikely to be the case here) you cannot hold them responsible. This is the reason people take out insurance and it is what would have covered you here, had you not failed to adhere to the policy terms. If you do not meet the policy terms it can unfortunately invalidate your insurance so you must ensure that this does not happen otherwise you can find yourself in a position where you had no valid insurance ad they will not cover you. One final thing you can try is to see if the garage had some kind of insurance cover themselves and whether that could cover your car too. However, if they do not have it in place, you would have had to rely on your own insurance. Whilst I understand that you want to hold someone responsible for this and get them to compensate you, that may not realistically be possible. Your last hope is if they find the person(s) responsible for the attack and they compensate you, but it may be unlikely that someone will just have that money to hand, especially if they may have to compensate several victims. As such it is rather rare for criminals to end up compensating their victims. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The garage where my car was had insurance does that help me . Surely if my property is in someone else's hands and there insured builing and contents cover .I should be covered.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily - as you may appreciate an insurance policy does not just cover everything, there could be exclusions, it could specifically only cover certain things so you will have to check what the policy actually covered. So it is not as simple as saying that they had your property and as such it would be covered - you have to check exactly what the police actually covered and ensure that your circumstances qualify. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you