Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Good morning, I have a friend who was excluded from notification

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a friend who was excluded from notification of (and therefore as beneficiary) of a very large will (financially). She has limited funds and doesn't want to make a 'fuss' about what her half-sister inherited last year. Does she have a right to be notified about the details of such a will - let alone be a beneficiary - as the daughter of the deceased?
She was abandoned by her mother at the age of one, along with a full-brother, her mother going on to remarry. The daughter of the second 'partnership' was the joint beneficiary of the estate, along with her (my friend's half-sister's) full-sister. Hope this makes sense!? Could you comment, when you have time?
Many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Simply being a relative or child of the deceased does not automatically mean that you have to be informed of the contents of the Will.Only the beneficiaries need to be informed.If the estate was a large one then a Grant of Probate would have been necessary to sell any property involved or get access to accounts where there are reasonably substantial funds. A copy of the Will is attached to the Grant of Probate and the Grants are public documents so your friend can obtain a copy of the Grant and hence the Will from the Probate Registry.Whether she could have claimed against the estate of the deceased is another matter. Whilst children may have an expectation of a legacy from a parent, your friend was abandoned and the level of contact may have been minimal or non existent.As such, the fact that she is the child of the deceased is not enough in itself to found a claim against the estate.I hope this helps. If there are any further points please respond and I will be happy to reply further.Best wishesMichael