Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I told a member of staff to record their hours as from 09.00

I told a member of staff to record their hours as from 09.00 -17.00 knowing that he did 07.00 - 15.00 for 1 day a week no financial gain was made on either side can ou please advise me of my situation desperate
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you in trouble with your employer as a result of this ? what is your concern?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise me of what I can expect
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking in regard to your employment situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok I need more details in order to advise you. why did you ask the member of staff to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Staff member flexti time had been stopped and I thought I was helping out with his child minding arrangements he is an agency member of staff this is the first time and I did not inform my manager I am really worried
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Does you manager know about this? Are they proposing disciplinary action? If so what are they saying the grounds are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not spoken to my new manager only to inform her that this was agreed by my previous manager.as this only came about as I left work on Friday. I should have known better being a teamleader and I signed his time sheets off. I am really about my situation when I go into work tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really worried about going into work tomorrow. Do I go in and own up
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
ok so as you say there was no financial gain to either of you, what harm did it do the employer? was it that there was less cover at a particular time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may of been I am unsure I am really worried
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
How likely are they to find out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Manager found out on Friday and I think they have spoken to the member of staff
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok how long have you worked there for and have you been in trouble before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 years I have never had a disciplinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I am aware this has gone on since July 2015 for one day a week excluding his leave
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the manager is already aware of it you are better off speaking to them tomorrow, if nothing else hopefully to allay your fears. You can say that you think you have made a mistake but you don't think you have done any harm and you didn't know what else to do in the circumstances. In order to take action against you they will have to show an act of misconduct has taken place. Unfortunately they will be able to do so given that you have falsified records. You should therefore appeal to them that you have done no harm and have an clean disciplinary record but felt forced into it in the circumstances given the fact that he has child care responsibilities and you were worried about discrimination. Is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.