LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I entered into my flat agreement in Sep 2015. When i started

Customer Question

I entered into my flat agreement in Sep 2015. When i started living there i experienced an unusual problem in it that whenever there is sunlight the flat gets excessively heated up which makes sitting inside un bearable.
I emailed this issued to my letting agency but they said winters are coming it will get cooler. They ignored the issue. I havee medical history of depression as well with medical letters from doctor. My situation gets further worse with heat in the flat.
Can you please help me or guide me in this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to get rid of this contract.I think its a health issue as well. They have refused to help in installing an A/C. A fan doesn't help there. The windows are too big. They said at the time of inspection u saw there were big windows its because of that, and u are in an agreement.. I think a normal person cannot guess ffrom windows that such an issue will happen there.They reduced the 10 mont contract contact by 1 month but i later realised that won't help.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this question for you.
If the excessive heat is caused by disrepair then it will probably be your landlord's responsibility to fix it and compensate you for any harm you have suffered since he knew about the problem.
If it is poor design that is causing the problem then you you will probably not be able to take action against the landlord.
This is the position under the law but I do not know what you tenancy agreement says about this sort of thing. You should look and see if there is a clause guaranteeing that the flat will be fit for occupation or kept in good condition or something of that nature. Then you might be able to threaten action for breach of that clause.
If the heat is adverse to your health then you might be able to argue that it is an environmental health issue and try to get the local authority Environmental Health Department involved. That will not be easy though.
I am afraid that the bot***** *****ne is that the agents are probably right in law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The design is such that the apartment has very large windows which causes a lot of sunlight to come in.If the windows are covered with some heat reflectors or heat absorbent material .Then that can help. Even by installing some extra heat reflectors. i am sending an attached copy of the agreement.please read the emails from bottom to up
I am unable to open the pdf tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reattached. Are the other files opening ?
I will look at this later today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,I am waiting.
I am afraid there is nothing in your tenancy that extends your repairing rights beyond the statutory minimum. I am afraid that the position is that the agents appear to be right in law.