Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

A decision taken at an AGM or EGM of a company or a golf club

Customer Question

A decision taken at an AGM or EGM of a company or a golf club is binding on the board of directors or committee of the Club?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the AGM of my Golf Club the members voted down a proposition to install Sky television at the Club. The committee went against this decision and put in Sky in at a cost of £600.00.The club is in the largest retirement area in the country so the members do not watch football. The committee is run by young men who represent about 5% of the membership and do not know their law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When do I get an answer?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have any rules specific to the conduct of the committee and what would happen if they acted without authority of the board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They seem to think that a decision taken at an AGM is only a bylaw and they can ignore it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rule book says that the committee can change a bylaw any time they wish.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks please bear with me while I prepare a full response. You will be sent an email when it is ready and it should not be more than an hour.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello the committee members are not entitled to act against the Ordinary Resolution of the Members. You are quite right that this does not amount to a bylaw it is binding on the company. They have therefore acted without authority and if they do not revert to the decision they are in breach and would potentially depending on your rules give grounds for removal as members of the committee. Please let me know if there is anything further you require. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be very grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for the time i have spent working on your question. Many thanks in advance and all the best with resolving this.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alan, I'm not able to accept the phone call at this time, is there anything further I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have requested a live phone call \when I press "Phone call requested" it does respond.
Alan Gibbs
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi the problem is that I am unable to accept the call at the moment due to my physical location. Can we continue like this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I will phone you in the next 10 minutes when I am back in the office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jenny
I do not know if we can still talk - can you tell me the the name and ref of the company law which relates to problem we were talking about, decisions taken at an AGM which cannot be changes. I want to quote the law at them.
Alan Gibbs
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Bear with me as I have a couple of urgent things on, I will get them to you at some point today.