12826847

I have recently been contacted by CSA in regards ***** ***** debt

Customer Question

I have recently been contacted by CSA in regards ***** ***** debt of £3000 from the period 1997 -2002. I talked to the representative and asked about her records. She obtained some archive records and we talked a few days later. The debt period is from 1997 to late 1999. In this period I was paying directly to my ex-wife via bank transfers weekly. I presented these records at the final divorce when discussing financial agreement. In regards ***** ***** my ex-wife stated she was not receiving benefits but only money from me in the period 97-99. The CSA involvement started in late 1999 when a earning attachment order was executed, but with no details the amount set was the maximum of around £141 / week. I provide wage slips and eventually the amount was reduced somewhat. eventually the weekly amount came down to around £70/week in the later years.
Around Oct'02, the children left their mother, age 10 & 12yo, and moved in to my care. It took a further 6months for the CSA to cancel my payment even after communications from myself and Wigan social services.
In addition due to debts from the marriage and other debt burdens from CSA, I had to declare bankruptcy in May 2000.
The CSA representative has arranged to phone me Wednesday to arrange a paying plan.
My questions are:
Am I liable to a debt that I was not informed about until now, some 17-19 years later?
statue of limitation etc.
Am I liable if the ex-wife was claiming benefits and claiming money from me?
Do I need a full set of records from that period to support a counter-argument?
regards
Kevin Saunders, 07899 807430
My questions
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name s ClareI shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.have you asked for a full copy of your file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply, however I have requested the full file, but in a later phone conversation CSA stated they have 7 weeks to supply the requested data. However the CSA has issue me with Deduction of Earning demand, sent Tuesday 26th Jan and effective as of 31 Jan salary payment. Can they move this quick?
Second question, the CSA debt is for a period 1997-99, a number of things happen in the late 99's, resulting in me declaring bankruptcy May 2000. because the debt was before this date, I assume all debtor should have lodged their claim to the Insolvency practitioner, is this correct? I was not aware of the CSA debt until 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid the CSA debt is not covered by the bankruptcy.
Have they obtained a court order for the deductions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare, see attached scan of the CSA letter, Kevin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on the CSA letter I sent, Kevin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any feedback in regards ***** ***** attached CSA letter sent last Friday?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay - I have been ill.
Has there been any other information given?