Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am aged 74 years living apart from my wife

hello, I am aged 74 years living apart from my wife for the past 8 years. we are not divorced. I get old pension and pension credit. my rent is £525 pcm and I receive council benefit of £419.56 pcm. I live in a flat owned by a private landlord.
my query is this. my daughter rents out a house and currently has a tenant. due to my age I am suffering from mental health and she wants me living closer to her.
if I took over the tenancy of this property would I still be entitled to claim housing benefit to help with my rent. although this is family this would be a business agreement.
thank you
****************
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Yes, housing benefit would be available for you however the rate may be less than you are receiving now depending on the size of the property.
What borough would the new property be in so that I can further assist?