Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

A customer (the Company owner in fact of a brand and market

A customer (the Company owner in fact of a brand and market leader in health and nutrition) to my employer has accused me of corporate corruption, accepting holidays from suppliers, dinners, rugby games, and allegedly requested a supplier pay for a trip to Paris including flights and hotel for me and my wife. They are also trying to use this against my employer to their advantage regarding the business they have. Please advise under UK law what laws this infringes and what action I could take?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to hep you today. Has your employer taken action against you as a result of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenny,
No the employer has not taken any action or threatened to take any action (yet). My MD (whom I had informed about the rugby invitation - which was 2 years ago by the way) let me view a conversation between a colleague and the customer from 2 weeks ago purporting these illegitimate claims. I did accept rugby tickets followed by a meal that I and my wife attended, although paid for our own flights and hotel costing me over £350 out of my own pocket as we were planning on visiting friends in Paris as they had just had their first child (we previously lived there for 2 years).
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Have you or are you likely to suffer a financial loss as a result of this? Do you have any idea why this person might 'have it in for you?'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't think it likely I'll suffer financial loss, it's more the slander and defamation of character that riles me up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This customer seems to have a bit of a track record for this type of slander as my MD mentioned yesterday when addressing this with me that he too a few years ago was subject to a similar slander from the same Business owner threatening the my Employer to get rid of the MD or else he'll move all business away from the company. So I do not believe he has anything against me personally, he's simply a ruthless businessman wanting to use this as a lever of negotiation to my detriment and his own advantage.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your anger. The problem is under UK law unless a loss is suffered, or is likely to be suffered, there is no merit in claim. This is because you can only be compensated for financial loss. The other consideration is that to even bring proceedings for defamation (libel or slander) it would cost you tens of thousands of pounds so it is prohibitive cost wise unless you are likely to suffer at least the equivalent in financial loss. That is the reality. That said you do not have to put up with this without taking action. You can certainly write to the perpetrator and say you consider the actions amount to libel (written form of defamation) and that you want him to stop spreading lies about you or you will consider your legal options which may include taking him to court to recover any potential financial loss. You need to be sure that your employer will not object to you writing though as it may cause harm in a relationship with their client. Probably the best approach is to ask your employer to give you support in handling it and say that you are finding it stressful and it s harming your health and safety. They would have to take your concern seriously otherwise they would be in breach of employment laws. Is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello do you have any further questions about this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi if you have no further questions about this please do remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time i have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only