ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I've received a divorce petition through the post from my ex

Customer Question

I've received a divorce petition through the post from my ex wife we have been separated more than 2 years
In her statement she has lied about many things even as far as I've been violent abusive etc
She accused me of assault I was acquitted
I know we will be divorced but her statement is incorrect and slandering and deeply distressing can I do something about this
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask - do you want to be divorced?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this statement is unnecessary and very disturbing and I don't want it recoredrd
Thank you for confirming that for me.
Whilst you can choose to defend a divorce petition if you don't agree with the grounds (and you can also put in your own divorce petition) - this means that the proceedings are then contested and this can become very expensive very quickly.
It is my advice to you - given that you do want to divorce- that you complete the acknowledgment of service form in the following words:
I completely refute the reasons used by the Applicant in her divorce petition. I do however wish to divorce and will therefore not seek to challenge these allegations within these proceedings. I do however reserve my right to defend the allegations made by the Applicant should she make such allegation within any other proceedings.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Just to add - a divorce petition is not a public document and therefore should not be seen by anyone other than the parties, their legal reps and the court.
Kind Regards
Caroline