Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

We are a married couple my wife has been diagnoised with a

we are a married couple my wife has been diagnoised with a terminal illness what happens if she dies and we DONT have a will in place.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
I assume that you are referring to any assets that she holds.
If there is no will in place if she passes away, then her estate will be distributed in accordance with intestacy laws which means that you will inherit her whole estate if it is worth £250,000 or less.
If her estate is worth £250,000 or more and she has children or grandchildren, you will inherit the first £250,000 and personal belongings and the remainder of the estate above £250,000 will be distributed 50% to you and 50% in equal shares to any surviving children (or if any children have passed away to their grandchildren).
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.