13262538

On my brothers death 15 years ago there was a will that left

Customer Question

On my brothers death 15 years ago there was a will that left his estate to my children. This has been described as a ' will trust ' . As executors we bought a flat in London on behalf of the children with the proceeds for Approx £400000 and now the flat is worth £1200000. I have been told that if the flat is now sold capital gains will have to be paid. Is this correct ? If so can this be reduced, at the time my two children were aged two and five.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you I am afraid that CGT is payable as the investment has increased in value.The fact that the property was part of a Trust for minor children does not give any exemptions I am afraid.However an accountant should be able to ensure that all possible expenses have been claimedClare