Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I rent a salon, my landlord is trying to charge me

Customer Question

I rent a salon, my landlord is trying to charge me for sub letting a chair in the salon, can he do that? Most salons rent out chairs to stylist
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dawn, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. He would have to have the right in your lease agreement to charge you for this. It is quite likely that there is a clause regarding the subletting of the premises, however this would anticipate the whole premises in most instances rather than a chair which amounts to an employment arrangement. I would suggest that you take a look at the lease and see exactly what it says and ask him how effectively taking on a self employed hairdresser which is a business norm comes within the definition of subletting within the lease. Is there anything further you would like to know? If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for working on your question. Thank you and all the best.