LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My partner was bound over to keep the peace 12 years ago,

Customer Question

Hi, my partner was bound over to keep the peace 12 years ago, and I need to know if this is classed as a criminal conviction? We want to travel to Austrilia and need to know if we need to declare this on te visa application
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify, it was 10 years ago not twelve. And he was bound over for 12 months.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Being bound over to keep the peace is not the same as being convicted of an offence. There is no admission made. It is a way of ending court proceedings without an admission of gilt or a verdict of any sort being entered. Someone who is bound over to keep the peace does not lose their good character.
Where t need to declare it on a visa application will depend on the precise wording of the question asked by the Australians. He will have either been charged or summonsed to court for an offence (probablay minor) but he has not got a conviction or a criminal record.