Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife never paid a penny towards the mortgage of the

Customer Question

Hi: my wife never paid a penny towards the mortgage of the house ...
The house deeds are about to be issued soon. I want to be the sole owner of the house.
Could I do that without her permission or signature ? Thx
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please could you explain what you mean by the house deeds being issued? Is the mortgage about to be settled?
When you initially bought the property, the property would have been registered in either your sole name or in joint names with your wife if she is also on the mortgage.
If the house is the matrimonial home, then your wife will have matrimonial home rights arising out of the marriage and will be entitled to occupy the property and claim a share of it, despite having never paid towards the mortgage. If her name is ***** ***** the title deed, this cannot be removed without her agreement or and order from the court.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.