12826847

I was recently caught shoplifting, the goods were recovered

I was recently caught shoplifting, the goods were recovered and the police called. I was cautioned by the police but I am now receiving civil claim letters from RLP for £147.50. My appointed solicitor at the time of the police interview advised me to ignore any such letters but I have since become worried due to the arrival of a second letter and my possible career developments. Is there a clear answer as to what I should do?
Thank you for your time
WN
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you are liable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, what course of action should I take? I am not really in a position to pay this sum. Surely if my solicitor and the police advise me to ignore them then I shouldn't be held accountable.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. You are responsible for your choices. You don't have to follow advice and it is no defence to say that you have followed advice.
However, it is not likely that they would sue. Apart from anything they recovered the goods and their security measures are not proper costs that are claimable from you.
That said, they are not going to give in. They will keep sending you letters and probably phoning as well. Unless they sue they will not be able to recover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just a couple more things. Would me ignoring the letters reflect negatively should this be taken to court. If so should I send a denial of liability letter in response?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really.
It doesn't change very much at all.
there is never any point in getting involved in a dispute with them in writing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I still feel a bit uneasy but I guess that's the objective of these letters. Thanks for the advice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is just debt collection effectively.
They have no real powers.