12826847

My partner is a contractor in the forestry business. Our haulier was transporting one

Customer Question

Hi my partner is a contractor in the forestry business. Our haulier was transporting one of our machines but during transportation they hit a bridge causing a lot of damage. Their insurers have agreed to pay repair costs but not the vat. I have been told that as we are vat registered we should pay the vat of £5k. However we cannot afford this. We are struggling to keep the business going and because of this we haven't been able to work to cover our business costs which could result in our machines being repossessed. Surely the insured party should pay the vat as they are registered anyway. Are we in a position to push for this and also to request for loss of earnings?
Gwen
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
On what basis are they refusing please?