Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am advertising a car on Autotrader. This morning

Customer Question

I am advertising a car for sale on Autotrader. This morning I received a text from www.cashyourcartoday.com which read (verbatim) "Mitsubish.. still for sale? We pay £17,295 CASH & COLLECT TODAY! Visit www.cash-your-car-today.com enter PURCHASE ID###-##-####
When I went to the site there was no option to enter the purchase id so I phoned them and spoke to a young man who confirmed the purchase id number but said the price had not yet been set.
My question is- If I reply to the original text and accept the offer (and their terms and conditions) does this make a binding contract? Their offer is £300 below my asking price but way higher than other car flipping companies are offering. I am tempted to proceed but it would help if the law was on my side.
Thanks for your attention,
Gareth Harris
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor based in London. Replying by text is unlikely to result in a legally binding contract. The requirement is to accept the offer by going online and entering a purchase ID - as opposed to accepting by text message. Their get out clause is the fact that the offer was not (or could not) be accepted online. Alice
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer otherwise I am not paid for my time. Thank you! Alice :)