Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Is it legal to scan (Colour or Black and White ) the ID page

Is it legal to scan (Colour or Black and White ) the ID page of a passport and send it as a small size email attachment? Are there any dangers?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You can do this but there must be some legal requirement for it, for example are you scanning it and sending it to a bank for anti money laundering purposes? What reason do you need to scan it? Also is it your own passport? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a request by Safaricom, Kenya to confirm registration of Mobile Telephone and MPESA banking service as I can not visit a Safaricom shop or MPSE agent while here in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is my passport
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Yes you can scan your passport and send it to them. However unless they have some need in Kenya to have your ID, then I would be very reluctant to send it to them. You are exporting your personal data to a country outside the EU that does not have the same regulations to protect personal data as in the UK. If you trust this company then legally it is ok to send them your passport.