75100385

I'd be very grateful if you could kindly give me some

Customer Question

Hello, I'd be very grateful if you could kindly give me some advice on the below.
I got married last year and wasn't happy with the service we got from the DJ.
A day before my wedding day, I contacted the DJ via phone, putting forward my request of songs to be played at various intervals during my reception party. At the time, the DJ agreed and advised I send him a list of songs via text/whatsapp. I did the necessary and was satisfied with his response at that time.
Unfortunately however, the DJ failed to adhere to my requests and failed to play in majority the songs I had requested. For instance, not even one of my requests was played during the cake cutting ceremony or during the starters, mains or dessert.
As a client who paid the company full fee prior to the wedding, I feel my rights were somewhat exploited. This is because I was well within my rights to express a degree of personal choice, as it was after all, ‘my wedding day!’
Even though the DJ kept the guests on the dance floor (this he did well) it appeared that he was only interested in the crowd and felt that he knew better when it came to playing my favourite songs. Although he did the majority of his job well by keeping the crowd entertained, I find it crazy to understand how he can get away with this as he didn't fulfil my wishes, which were part of his job.
I e-mailed the manager and left messages but have had no response. I then sent a letter to the company via recorded delivery and received a response from the DJ saying he'll call me but didn't. I still have the text/whatsapp messages as evidence, but these weren't mentioned in the contract. We had to pay the company in full before the wedding, which my Husband did on his card.
Do you think anything can be done? We paid for a big package, which included mood lighting and total amount paid to the company was £4,200. I would like to be compensated for the poor standard of service but have absolutely no idea as to how much I should ask for. I don't want it to be too much or too less. Could you please advise, as I am very confused about this.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you asked for the breakdown as to the cost of DJ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,My Husband was sent a contract but he deleted it. That might have had a breakdown of costs. I know the DJ company's packages start from around £1,800 and my Husband got a big package because he wanted more lighting.
I can probably ring them and pretend I'm a new client to get a breakdown of costs?Alex, I don't want to pay over £30 for the phone call so is it ok if we stick to messages?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Messages are fine. I would jabs thought £1800 was high after all you did have music, even if it's not the specific records you asked for. I would say between £500 and £1000
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, sorry, I'm confused....
You would say £500-£1000 for what? Is this how much compensation I should ask for?Do you think I have a strong case as some people have told me that as the DJ did the majority of his role well (kept crowd on dance floor), my case won't be strong enough.
Also my requests weren't mentioned on the contract, only on texts (which you could say are part of the contract).What do I need to do next? Send a final letter?Thanks!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think this is what you could realistically get in compensation
I think you have a decent case bearing in mind you gave a list
You should then send a final letter and issue county court proceedings if nothing is forthcoming
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex.... just wanted to also ask:Do you think I should send the final letter or should I text the DJ to inform him to contact me, otherwise final letter will be issued.Also, as I didn't approach the DJ on my wedding day to ask why he wasn't playing my songs, will this work against me? I was very annoyed on my wedding day and I would've loved to have told him to do his role properly, but it wouldn't have been appropriate for me to do this, with it being an Asian wedding.
Along with texts, I also have my wedding dvd as evidence.Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to send the letter to whoever you paid
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex.... if you were in my situation, how much compensation would you ask for, as you said between £500-£1000? I'm going to write the final letter this weekend, so please advise. Shall I stick to £500? Also, could you give me a brief breakdown as to what I need to include in the final letter?The fact that no one in the company has even had it in their heart to call me and apologise makes it worse!Thanks Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would start at £1000 then you may negotiate. You can go down in value but not up?
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that helps.
What do I include in the final letter?Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Just set out what went wrong, why it went wrong and what you want doing.
Does that clairfy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,I have typed my final letter. Before posting this tomorrow, I wanted to run something past you as I really want this to be a strong case for me.2 types of songs are played at an asian wedding. 1 is bhangra music which is the 'dance' music and the other is Hindi music, which is more soft and usually played whilst theres no dancing, i.e, cake cutting and meal times. I sent my DJ a list of 12 Bhangra songs and he only played 6. I also sent him a list of 10 hindi songs and he played none. Before I entered the venue, the DJ made an announcement to all guests informing them that if they had any special requests or dedications, they could ask his team members. Some guests' requests were played but the majority of mine weren't and I was the bride!!Just wanted to ask again - above are the details, in your honest opinion, do you think I still have a strong case?Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think you have a strong case.
Does that help?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies - I thought I had to rate you at the very end. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,I forgot to mention - I used a letter template from Citizens Advice to structure my final letter. There was one section that came up as part of the template and I wanted to ensure that it was ok to leave it in. It's below:I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 4 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.Is it ok to leave this paragraph on my final letter?Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is all fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, (this was closed but I've had it reopened). Just wanted to ask you something... the DJ finally made contact with me (this was after the second formal letter I sent) and has agreed to give me £300 compensation and no more. He said this was all coming out of his own pocket and that the company had nothing to do with it (even though it was the company we paid). What do you think I should do? I could accept but I think it should be more. On the second letter I sent, I stated that I wanted £1000 compensation. Please advise. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking for me. I would ask for the £1000 which is what you wanted.If he refuses you can issue proceedingsdoes that help?.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, he made it very clear that he could only give £300. I asked if he would give at least £500 but he said he can't afford it. Part of me thinks shall I just take it to end this whole thing or do you think I should issue proceedings? I'm scared that this way, I'd end up with nothing.What would you do if you were me?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its up to you. If you think he has the money issue proceedings. If not jus take the £300.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DJ company are very well off. I'm not sure how well off the actual DJ is.
Alex, what would you do if you were me? Please advise as I don't have a clue.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would accept if you are mind minded to pursue. Court will take about another 6 months to a year to resolve.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, just wanted to inform you that everything is now sorted as I received my £300 today. Thanks for your help. This service has been so useful and so convenient. You can close this now.I hope you don't mind but I wanted to give you some feedback. At times, I found your answers to be quite vague. This resulted in me having to ask you the same question again. I am aware that you must have a lot of other queries to answer, but at least put a bit more effort into answering a question as people have paid for this service. Also, each time I contacted you, I started the message off by saying 'Hello Alex'. You have never done this for me. Try to use the customers name where you can, it makes the customer feel valued and gives it that personal touch.Thanks Alex.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the feedback. I usually use names, but because you are called Alex and so am I, I did think it might confuse matters.But thanks and I am glad you had the £300 today.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
Oh, thats interesting! I had no idea that I was showing up as Alex, because that's not even my name!
Nevermind..... I'm trying to rate you by using the star system at the top of the screen, but every time I click on it, it does nothing. I gave you 4 stars a while ago and it appears to be frozen on that. Let me know what I need to know, as you should be paid.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Try now and if you have a problem let me know!Thank you in advance!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I still can't. It shows my 4 stars from previously and does nothing when I click it. Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - let me refer it on.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekAlex