12826847

How do I see cctv footage of an attack on my son by another

how do I see cctv footage of an attack on my son by another child , held on school cctv?
I was advised to use the data protection act but the school says it cannot show me because of the child protection act?
please advise
regards Gordon
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son was hit at school and a fight broke out.
the head master says he see my son start the fight on cctv and expelled him for a week.
my son is insisting he did not start the fight.
we asked to see the footage but the school refuses to let us see it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old is he?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is 15
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
His refusal has nothing to do with either child protection or the DPA. There is no particular magic in this being CCTV of a minor. The law of photography and moving images applies to minors and adults alike otherwise all local council CCTV would be worthless. However, the fact remains the school are refusing. Freedom of information doesn’t really apply as this isn’t a freedom of information issue. This is an investigation into whether their punishment was legitimate. A better option is to complain to the local authority about the fact that they took this action and ask them to view the CCTV. The risk you take then is that the CCTV might support them. You could always seek an injunction but I’m afraid I cannot see grounds to do so. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the local authority the council or the police?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The council.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks.
regards Gordon