12826847

My father in law died in November 2015, and since his death

Customer Question

My father in law died in November 2015, and since his death my mother in law has moved into our family home. Long term the house is not suitable and we need to build a downstairs bathroom and an extension to give us back our living room space downstairs. We are using one of downstairs reception rooms as a "granny flat". My question is, if we use money owned by my mother in law or sell her home to fund the changes to the house, and she subsequently still has to move into a nursing or care home, could we be liable to pay back the money to fund the care? probably be 30,000 pounds and we do not have the cash put by.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat other funds does your mother in law have and how old is she?