Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My lawyer in Edinburgh has asked my spouse in Pakistan to send

Customer Question

My lawyer in Edinburgh has asked my spouse in Pakistan to send his passport to my lawyer Iin Edinburgh with the signed papers for the settlement visa after his biometric appointment. My question is that can he send his Pakistani passport through post to my lawyer here who then would pass it on to home office in Sheffield?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear M, this is no rule of practice or law which prevents a passport being sent by post to a lawyer in Edinburgh. However, your spouse should send this passport by recorded delivery in case it goes missing. It would be unwise to send a valuable item by ordinary post due to the risk of loss. The lawyer in Edinburgh can send on his Pakistani passport to Home Office when he receives it.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great help. Thank you
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. You are welcome. Glad I could be of assistance. Please Rate the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So there should be no issues of sending his pakistani passport here just confirming since he was saying it's not allowed from pakistan
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. No, there would be no issue with him sending his pakistani passport to the UK. Not in the UK anyway. This is necessary to get the visa.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be a bother. Just want to know that when he goes for his biometric test at the office in Pakistan they should be able to return his passport back after they have seen it for verification purpose and not keep it there? Thank you soon much
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
5. The biometric test in Pakistan will not involve keeping his passport once it has been seen and processed. Please RATE THE ANSWER as there is no incentive to answer any further questions if the question is not rated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and apologies for the late rating xx
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
6. You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband had his appointment for his biometric test to day and they said they had to submit the passport their in order for the test to be taken place therefore he submitted it there. I had previously assured them that nothing like this would happen based on what you had told me. But they refused to give back the passport and said it's not allowed to give it back
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
7. I am very surprised that this course of action as it means your husband cannot now submit his passport for his visa.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has submitted his passport at a gerry centre in Pakistan for his visa. The said in order to submit the application passport has to be submitted in Pakistan
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
8. Then you will have to use a lawyer in Pakistan and not the lawyer in the UK.