Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Made a claim against my home insurance but have not had a reply

made a claim against my home insurance but have not had a reply regarding a decision to settle and have been out of my house for a month now. I have provided evidence to show that we disclosed our proximity to water twice when applying but the underwriters are saying that they did not give the insurance brokers permission to sell this type of policy, I have responded that that is an internal issue for them to resolve and that they are contractually bound to settle this claim, what can I do next and can I make a seperate claim for the lack of a decision leading to myself and my wife having to live at seperate addresses and also that my house is left needing attention.
Thank You
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What steps have you taken so far to raise a complaint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning JennyThanks for your help and especially for replying on a Saturday.Have lodged a complaint with the brokers which they have acknowledged and have kept calling Sun Alliance who keep saying that they haven't reached a decision yet.
Can they keep me waiting so long when I have proven that I purchased the policy correctly and that their argument is with the brokers and not me.Thanks
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi morning to you too! As your contract is with Sun Alliance rather than with the Broker any claim that you can make would be against Sun Alliance. You need to ask for a copy of their internal complaints procedure. If you have purchased insurance and there is no exclusion in the policy then you should be covered if you have provided the correct information. You are right that the fact that the broker would not have authorised it is a matter between Sun Alliance and the Broker and should not affect you. Lodge a complaint in accordance with the complaints procedure and say if you do not receive a satisfactory outcome you will escalate your complaint and look to seek compensation for any consequential loss flowing from their breach of contract by failing to settle your claim promptly. Hopefully the complaint will lead to a speedy resolution. if it does not you should raise a complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman who deals with insurance matters. You will find details at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/I really hope that you can get a speedy resolution. If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You JennyI will do as you advise and I too hope for a speedy resolution.Peter
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with it and thanks for the rating!