Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife is divorcing me. We have a business together but my

Customer Question

My wife is divorcing me. We have a business together but my question regards ***** ***** home. It is co-owned by my wife and her mother, bought outright two years before i married my wife and moved in. After five years do i have any claim on this as a joint asset, even a little, I understood the 'marital home' has certain rights. Or am I wrong and I should just accept I lived there 'rent free' and forget trying to get even the smallest slice of this quite expensive property. I'm not all about money but i thought unless you have a prenup certain things become joint assets. Did I maintain the place? Well I arranged for the windows to be fixed, stopped the bath leaking, etc - so not much..
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. It is correct that this would be considered the matrimonial home, however as it is jointly owned by her mother you would not be able to register your home rights on the property given that it is jointly owned with a third party. As part of the financial settlement, your wife's share would be taken into consideration in the settlement and you would be entitled to make a claim for part of this given that it is the matrimonial home and you have made some financial contributions. Non-financial contributions, if any, would also be taken into consideration. Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.