Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Good Evening, I have a question regarding contract law. A

Good Evening,
I have a question regarding contract law.
A friend of mine brought my company a vehicle in August 2015, we drew up a contract on paper which states:
"I CG of address have donated to Triple L ... a Renault Master Ambulance registration number, vin number. I am giving this vehicle to the company and as of the date of this agreement I have no financial or other claim to the vehicle or company so long as the following conditions are met:
1 - vehicle remains at company head office or location as required by operational requirements
2 - vehicle is insured, tested and maintained by company
3 - vehicle is insured with a comprensive motor vehice insurance policy
4 - In the event the company ceases trading the vehicle is to be donated to a local charity within a similar field to the company.
In the event of a disagreement or my death the vehicle belongs to company and I have no stake in the vehicle or company.
Signed by both the donator, and company representitive on 3/8/15
This person is now stating that the contract is not a legal contract and she wishes to impose other conditions on the donation.
Since the vehicle was donated, the company has spent over £1200 on the gearbox and a couple of other maintenance tasks.
The vehicle donor paid £650 for the vehicle.
Please could you assist is the contract we wrote a legal contract, or is it not worth the paper it is written on, and can she now make demands for further conditions to be added?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind Regards
Nick
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. The wording in the document suggests this is a conditional gift rather than a contract. The wording of the gift and conditions is fine - if the other party now wishes to impose further conditions which are unacceptable you could revoke the gift and take back the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alice, thank you for the response, the other party is the donor and we are the receiver, so can she now impose extra conditions onto this item or decide to take back the vehicle?
Is this legally binding bearing in mind that all conditions are met, she has stated that she has no financial or other control to the vehicle or company?
Kind Regards, Nick
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was my misunderstanding. Once the gift has been made and accepted on certain conditions which have been met, the donor cannot impose further conditions subsequently and cannot take back the vehicle on a whim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification, I have attached the document for you to look over to ensure the document is correct.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer otherwise I am not paid for my time. Many thanks and have a good evening. Alice.