ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My ex is living in my house and refuses to leave. The house

Customer Question

My ex is living in my house and refuses to leave. The house is in my name, I pay the mortgage. I bought the property two years ago. She has paid about 8K into furniture etc. I need a lawyer who can help me quickly and efficiently remove her. She pays no rent. I have proof via my accounts that I paid all the bills, the mortgage and so on.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist.
Please may I ask:
- were you ever married?
- any children together?
Has she
- paid a deposit?
- paid towards the mortgage?
- renovated the property?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were not married. She has two children from a previous marriage. We have no children together. We lived together for one year in the house. She will not allow me access, has never paid any rent and refuses to move. Clearly we fell out a year ago!When I purchased the house, she helped with paying for furniture and renovations to the tune of about £8000. I am happy to repay this money to her. I have already offered to do so. I am keeping up the mortgage repayments. She has placed a charge on the property through the land registry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to enter my house she attacked me physically. Then called the police and claimed assault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just go round when she's out and remove her stuff and change the locks? Seems a simple solution to me.
Thank you for your response.
Your ex is going to have a Trust of Land Act Claim in respect of the renovations monies - but you accept this and are willing to pay this - so there is no issue there.
I suggest you refer your case to Family Mediation. So agreement can be reached as to when you will pay her the renovation monies to help her move out.
Solicitors aren't involved in Mediation so the costs are low. Court can be avoided if agreement can be reached and this can all be resolved quickly.
There are lots of mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just google family mediation in your area and give them a call to get the ball rolling.
In real terms as the house is in your sole name you could just change the locks although this isn't the most sensible approach if children are residing in your property.
What the of charge has she obtained?
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work