Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I renewed a car insurance in mid November, just before

Hi, I renewed a car insurance in mid November, just before going on holiday for 7 weeks. Within 2 weeks of my holiday the insurance company were sending me emails saying that I had not provided documents for the insurance. I told them that I had sent these documents mid November before going away. They replied with an email acknowledging this and told me everything was ok. Then the emails started again within about a week and they were threatening to cancel the policy. I couldn't send a fresh copy of my driving license because I didn't have it with me on holiday.
Now I have got back off holiday and I'm stuck with no insurance and they made my holiday a misery by constantly harassing me.
I'm losing money right now because I'm not in work also.
I've installed a call recorder app on my phone for when I phone them, but I wanted some advice first.
Thanks, Christ***** ***** ***@******.***
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you exhausted the insurance company's internal complaints procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't contacted the company yet. I wanted some advice first.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
In the situation that you describe , if you produced the correct documents they are in breach of contract for failing to provide you with insurance. You do need to follow their internal complaints procedure and then raise a complaint with the insurance ombudsman, http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/The ombudsman can make a determination as to whether it was appropriate for the insurance to be cancelled in this manner. If they find that your evidence supports your position then you will be in a position whereby you can claim for your losses in breach of contract which would include consequential loss. You need obviously to ensure you are properly insured (probably with another outfit) if you intend to drive in the meantime. If you have any further questions please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Christian, is there anything further you would like to know as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing more I need to know, thanks.