12826847

Is there a distance by law from the first sigh of speed changing

Customer Question

is there a distance by law from the first sigh of speed changing and the camera site
the rd is 40 miles an hr and then changes to 30 but when you see it to change speed its too late as the camera is on the 1st speed change sign
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello have you been caught speeding in similar circumstances?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I got 2 in the same place one Saturday and one sunday I didn't know the area I had not been there before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you answering now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
In short, no there isn't.
A driver is expected to have reduced his speed at the time of entering the new speed zone. The issue is the point at which he passes the sign or other indication rather than the GATSO although obviously it only comes to attention at the time of passing the speed detection device.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't think so how can they do that as you don't see it till you are on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gatso wots that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter whether you see the speed detection device or not at any time.
The issue is the 30 mph zone sign or street lighting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not the device I did see it is the change of speed limit is not told until its attacked to the camera
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How did you come to see the device but not the road sign?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the road sign was on the back of the camera
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter where they were as long as they could be seen by the reasonably observant motorist in the light of the case of Peake.
There is no defence in saying you didn't see a road sign as long as it otherwise complies with requirements.
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.