29905560

What is the procedure copyright on a book in

What is the procedure for obtaining copyright on a book in the UK?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you the author?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
There is actually no formal procedure in UK law for the grant of copyright. The copyright over a literary piece of work is granted automatically to its creator. This means that if you were the creator of an original piece of work, then you are automatically given copyright over it. You d not have to register it anywhere or do anything procedural, as long as you can prove that you had created the piece in question. That is why authors these days may have computer files with their original work which can show on what date they had created the work in question. Other may do something different such as post their works to themselves using tracked delivery and when received leave it unopened so that they have proof that on a specific date they were in possession of the works in question. But all of this is only necessary if a dispute arises, for example someone comes along and says you have stolen their idea and breached their copyright, then you can show that you were in fact the original creator. But to answer your question - there is NO procedure in UK law for obtaining copyright as copyright is automatically created and given to you as soon as you create an original piece of work. There is also nowhere you can officially register copyright as it is not dealt in the same way as patents or trademarks for example, which must be officially registered. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ben, Thank you for this very helpful and full answer. Can you tell me though whether the various people who advertise help getting copyright on websites (if you google) for £13.99 or £16.95 or whatever, are at all useful, r a just pointless??

Lyn

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
They would do nothing more than keep a record of your work and when you sent it to them, which offers the same proof as the methods I mentioned above. So as long as you can do that yourself, their services are pointless