29905560

I have a personal problem, I use to be a recruitment coordinator

Customer Question

I have a personal problem, I use to be a recruitment coordinator (Volunteer) at one of UK charities shops, someone I know made false allegations about me and because of it. I was ban from the shop. Although I tried to prove I am innocent the shop manager and his assistant didn't care at all. They basically treated me like dirt!! I felt like I’ve been discriminated , I want justice please help!!!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
justice
Which in your opinion means what exactly?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A written apology from the person who made these false allegation and a promise she will never do that again. I want the shop manager and his assistant to apologize to me in person and the warning letter to be revoked I want that in writing.
Legally this is not discrimination on the shop’s part. For discrimination to occur you must have been treated detrimentally because of a protected characteristic, such as your age, gender, race, religion, etc but that is not the case here as the ban as due to the information received by a third party, even if it is untrue. The shop has not actually done anything illegal – the shop premises are their private property and they have the right to decide who enters these premises and they can decide this on whatever grounds they want, even if they are based on incorrect facts. So whilst you can try and plead with them to change their mind, you cannot force them to and it is their legal right to do this if they wanted to. Also they cannot be forced to apologise – they were acting on information which they believed to be true and it is not their obligation to investigate that before they make a decision. So they cannot be forced to apologise to you in the circumstances. Your only rights will be against the person who made the allegations. Their actions could amount to defamation but that is not easy to pursue. Also the issue you face again is that you cannot force the person to issue an apology. No court can force them to do that. All that you can expect from them is compensation but only if you can show that you have suffered losses as a result. Have you actually suffered financial losses or have you just been humiliated and inconvenienced? Because without any actual losses to show you cannot take it further, even if they said untrue things about you. Also consider how much such a claim would cost, it would be in the region of £15,000 which you will have to pay yourself so be realistic about what you can achieve in the circumstances. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you please read my whole story then tell me if I am being discriminated or not
On October 2013 I joined Oxfam shop as recruitment Coordinator – Volunteer. There I met Sefika Evliya, I thought she liked me as I liked her too we emailed each other.
Long story short , things between us did not go well I left Oxfam on February 2015. On September 2015 I went to see the shop manager as I needed his help filling in a form for the university. I saw Sefika, she approached me as I was leaving the shop I did not say hello I was still upset with her, I emailed her the following day I tried to fix things between us, she said she didn’t want anything to do with me stop emailing me , I said have a happy life.
On October 2015 it was Eid a Muslim celebration day I felt upset of how things ended between us therefore, I bought some flowers and some chocolate with a personal note with it ( I am Sorry , have a happy Eid in brief) & I had it sent to Oxfam . emailed her telling her I’ve sent a Eid gift for her can she confirm she received it yes or no , nothing more she did not reply I though she must have blocked me and I never saw her or emailed her again
On January 2016, I went to Oxfam to see the shop Manager (David Carruthers) as he is leaving Oxfam ( Resigning) I wanted to be a good friend and wish him a happy journey & see if he is interested in coming to my graduation party when I graduate.
David wasn’t happy to see me and as we talked some more he said that Sefika made a complaint about me and said that I’ve sent her emails of an inappropriate nature and I said bad things about the shop manager I was shocked and said no I did not!!
He showed me one of the emails and he said is that your email I said yes but I did not write that she change the original email and forwarded it to you.
I offered to let him see the original emails on my yahoo account he said you are not allowed to use Oxfam computer, I asked for a copy of those emails as I have the right to read them and defend myself he said no, they also confiscated my gifts to her the flowers and the chocolate plus they read my personal note to her and they decided it was inappropriate to buy her gifts, and they did that without her knowledge.
Please note, that Sefika buys christmas present for everyone in the shop, but I am a criminal when I do it on Eid Day ( a Muslim celebration day). They issue a warning letter on 8th October 2015 telling me about Sefika complaint and that they will notify the police if I enter Oxfam – Walthamstow shop premises therefore I am ban, they also had the letter sent to my old address , therefore I did not get it.
I’ve asked for a copy of the warning letter made a complaint to the Area Manager ( ***** *****) she replied by saying that she will organize an investigation and it should take a couple of weeks.
I am so hurt & very much want Justice for what they did to me :
• Sefika Evliya for making false allegation and smearing my reputation and as a result I was ban from Oxfam – Walthamstow• Oxfam – Walthamstow for the following:1. Believing Sefika allegation & issuing a warning letter telling me I am ban form Oxfam without proper investigations.2. The shop manager did not try or put any kind of effort to believe me I was innocent even when I told him I will show him the original emails which I have sent to Sefika, he was clearly on Sefika’s side (bias).3. confiscated my gifts to sefika and reading the personal note without even consulting me or Sefika it is clearly invasion of my privacy and Sefika .4. Sending a warning letter to the wrong address which well cause me a great impressment if anyone had a look at it as they will think of me as a bad person.Please note that Safika made a compliant about a fellow volunteer who use to touch her, he was found guilty and because of this whatever she says to the manager he believes her. They also told me I am old enough to look after myself but she is much younger then you therefore it’s our job to protect her. ( Sefika is 20 or 21 years old)
Hi, there is a lot of additional information compared to the original question now so if you could please leave your positive rating now then I can continue considering the additional details and provide a response. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I rate you, if I didn't get an answer yet?!
I gave you an answer on the initial information you provided - I now have a lot more information additional to what you initially supplied so this would be treated as a follow up question