29905560

I have a question on copyright law. We have a set of publications

Hi, I have a question on copyright law. We have a set of publications printed between 1937 and 1939. They comprise submitted articles and extracts of other publications compiled by a single editor. As the first date of publication was over 70 years ago can we assume that these publications are now in the public domain?
Arthur Hill
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. You should not assume that to be the case because it is not he date of publication which determines copyright but the date of death of the author. Copyright would last for 70 years from the end of the year in which the author of the article in question died. So even though they may have been published more than 70 years ago, the author may have lived forms some time after and their death could still be less than 70 years ago, which would mean the article may be still under copyright. So do not reference the publishing date, it is the year of the author's death which would be relevant. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you