75100385

My son is asking me to pay a £400 deposit to a landlord for

Customer Question

My son is asking me to pay a £400 deposit to a landlord for student accommodation he will not occupy until September 2016. I am concerned as there are already students living in the proper and the landlord already hold their deposit. It seems unusual to have to pay this far in advance, particularly when the landlord still holds deposit monies for the existing tenants.
Also I am being asked to pay the money into the landlords private bank and I thought they had to have an escrow account.
My son is being pressured to pay now or lose the room but I am uncomfortable.He says its due to high demand
Is the landlord within her rights to operate like this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is the deposit going to be protected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean. There is a single contract which mentions the total deposit of £3,340 which is split between 7 students. I have not been provided with any other documents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some other 'protection' I should seek?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If its an assured shothold tenancy then the deposit has to be protected within 14 days by law. If that is going to happen that is ok.
That is because its held by a government website and as such protected. So you need to make sure. Otherwise you dont have to pay a deposit unless its going to be protected until the time of tenancy or shortly before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex. I shall ask
Best
Martin
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best and let me know.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/