How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I need to apply to my neighbours land in order to

Customer Question

I need to apply for access to my neighbours land in order to do repairs to guttering and drain surround as the concrete is non existant. Can someone tell me what the costs involved are
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. It is not necessary to instruct a solicitor or barrister to do this - applying for an access order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 is actually straightforward. In the first instance, you should inform your neighbour in writing that the work needs to be carried and you are seeking their consent, in writing, to allow access and if they fail to respond you will make an application to the court. The application is made using a claim form which can be obtained from the local County Court and you have to show:the work is reasonably necessary for the preservation of all or part of the property/landthe work cannot be done, or it would be substantially more difficult to do the work, if you cannot get access to the neighbour's land
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
If you do wish to instruct a solicitor, you need somebody who specialise in land law / property disputes and you would expect to pay around £200 per hour for an experiences litigator. For an uncontested application you would expect to pay a basic fee of around £2,000 plus VAT.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer so that I am paid for my time. Happy to discuss further if needed. Alice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much does it cost for the claim form? Is a letter from a drainage company that states these repairs need to done in order to stop water ingress enough proof? Also if i took my fence down i could get access to the drain but would this be allowed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another question above.