Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I need to serve a Notice on a tenant who is

Customer Question

I need to serve a Notice for possession on a tenant who is in arrears. We only have a verbal agreement of 1620 per month which he has been paying but with gaps (hence the arrears). Normally he has a one year contract but somehow last year he never signed! And I didn't notice. If he had signed the period would expire by the 28th of February. What sort of notice do I give him and in what form? I imagine its two months but I may be wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Once the fixed-term tenancy expires the tenant automatically goes onto what is called a statutory periodic tenancy which is a rolling monthly tenancy by law. In order to evict the tenant you will need to serve them with a formal notice requiring possession and give them two months' notice to vacate. If they do not vacate in this time you will need to pursue possession proceedings - if you will be claiming rent arrears this will be the standard possession route. However, if you do not claim rent arrears you can pursue the accelerated route here: https://www.gov.uk/accelerated-possession-eviction
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.