Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm a married Norwegian national based in the UK.

Customer Question

I'm a married Norwegian national based in the UK. I just lost my father back in Norway who will leave a home to which I'm entitled a share of inheritance when it's sold. My wife just told me she's entitled to half that money even if we are not getting divorced. Is this correct?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Your wife is not entitled to a half share of your inheritance should it be sold. There is no rule of law that one spouse is entitled to half the other spouses assets or money. A spouse only has a right to make a claim to the other spouse's assets upon divorce and then there is no automatic entitlement to anything, let alone half. In law each spouse is a separate entity. Their assets and money belongs to themselves. The other spouse has no claim to any of the other spouses assets just because they are married. The fact of marriage gives no claim to the other spouse's assets. The only time one spouse can seek to claim a share in the other spouse's money or assets is if they divorce. Then there is no entitlement to a half share or to anything like that.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. It make no difference that you are a Nnorweg***** *****ving in the . The same law applies to Norwegians as applies to UK citizens. Your assets are your own. Your inheritance is your own. Your wife has no entitlement to a half share in your inheritance or any share.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.