Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

We have a 2014 reg VW Golf car under manufacturers warranty

Hi, we have a 2014 reg VW Golf car under manufacturers warranty (we bought it from the Car People 2nd hand with manufacturers warranty attached) which the VW dealer garage has attempted to fix on a number of occasions over the last 8 weeks but each time they road test it to check it has been fixed it fails - it is a brake issue - so vital. How long are we expected to wait for them to fix it before we can request that warranty needs to come into play and we need a new / replacement car.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have they attempted to fix it? What solution have they proposed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they replaced a part and said it was fixed about 6 or 7 weeks ago - we took it home and within 2 days I'd almost hit another car as the brake failure happened again. Since then they have had car in garage and been trying to fix it by changing a couple of other parts but when they road test it their fix hasn't worked. Now they say they cant road test latest attempt to fix it as they have found another electrical issue which is stopping the brake lights from coming on.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So how long have they now had it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from Monday 14th December approx.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
When did you purchase the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
March / April 2015 - as a second hand car from The Car People garage with the balance of manufacturer warranty attached - VW have 3 year warranty and car was first reg in March 2014
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Have you raised the issue with the dealer (the Car People at all? )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are aware of the issue and have been in touch with us to see how it is progressing, not sure if they have been in touch with VW direct or not
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi the Sale of Goods and Services Act applies to this purchase and your rights are against the Dealer (The Car People) rather than the manufacturer VW. Under the Act the repairs should be carried out within a reasonable time frame otherwise you have the right to take the car elsewhere to be fixed and have your money refunded or a right to a refund in the event the fault cannot be fixed. I would suggest that you speak to the Dealer to say you are unhappy and have taken legal advice an want the vehicle returned repaired in 7 days or you want a refund and take the matter from there. I am sure if you let them know that you have taken advice and know your rights are against them they will take steps to speed things up. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for working on your question. Thank you and all the best.