29905560

How can I find out if my father who has passed away nearly

Customer Question

How can I find out if my father who has passed away nearly 7years ago has left me an inheritance
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did he leave a will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure I have been told that I have inheritance money in the bank.I have never met my father and the only knowledge I have is his name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You should try and obtain a copy of his will first as that would be the first port of call. Once probate has been granted, a will becomes a public document and a copy can be obtained from the Probate Registry in return for a small fee. To obtain a copy you need to write to the Postal Searches and Copies Department of the York Sub-Registry. Their address is: The Postal Searches & Copies DeptYork Probate Sub-Registry1st Floor, Castle ChambersClifford StreetYork, YO1 9RG You must give the full name, address and date of death of the deceased person. State what you require (e.g. copy of their last will) and include the address where you want a copy of the will sent to. You must also enclose the appropriate fee, which is usually £5 and covers a search for the four year period from the date of death. There is a further fee of £3 for each subsequent 4 year period searched, although that should hopefully not be necessary. If a grant of probate has been traced, the fee includes a copy of the will, regardless of the number of pages, and a copy of the grant. These will be sent to the address you have provided within a reasonable period of time. If you get a copy of the will then you can see if he nominated you as a beneficiary in it and what you may be entitled to. If there was no will at all, then his estate would have been distributed under the rules of intestacy which is a strict order of priority based on your connections with the person. Some details on the order of priority can be found here: http://www.inheritancedisputes.co.uk/intestacy-rules-who-gets-what-under-rules-intestacy.html I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome