Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

How will my benefits be affected if I enter into a Civil P

How will my benefits be affected if I enter into a Civil Partnership
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please confirm what benefits you are receiving, and the financial position of your putative civil partner. I will then be able to assist you with your issue.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on Jobseekers Allowance and Disability Living Allowance, I'm 60
My intended partner is 70, an oap.Many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the confirmation.
The jobseekers allowance will depend on whether it is income based or contribution based.
If it is contribution based, you are able to claim this for six months without your civil partner's circumstances being taken into account. After six months you can apply for income-based jobseekers allowance and your civil partner's income and capital position will be taken into account. If you have been on jobseekers allowance for a while, it is likely that you are on income-based jobseekers allowance and therefore you will need to inform the jobcentre if you do enter the partnership.
You DLA would not be affected by the partnership as it is not means tested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My intended partner has pension only. Will that also be taken into account regarding jobseekers allowance?Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My intended partner has pension only plus owns his own house.. Will these also be taken into account regarding jobseekers allowance?Many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, both of these will be considered but equity in the home if you will be living there should not be counted, but if he has capital of £16,000 or more you will not be entitled to income-based JSA.