75100385

I contacted MRSA after spinal surgery and was immediately put

I contacted MRSA after spinal surgery and was immediately put on antibiotics to reduced the inflammation. The hospital used IV treatment in my arms and after 6 weeks of treatment my veins collapsed and the nurses found it increasing difficult to find a vein. Eventually they put me on an oral medication ( Zyvoxid ). I remember only the excruciating pain when I reached a month of IV treatment which required they change the IV to a different point in my arms. Why didn't the hospital put in a PICC line or have I any recourse for what I feel was cruel ?.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Are you saying they were negligent please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not in a position to say whether negligence is involved. I suffered a spinal injury and a head injury which I am still dealing with so I am not really in a position to say if they followed procedure or took the wrong course. Trust me, 6 weeks on IV is awful but I discovered that a PICC line would have saved me from a huge amount of discomfort. Have you encountered cases involving MRSA ?
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Yes but as a lawyer I can't say whether its negligent or not. What you need to do is get a medical expert give you a formal report. That will say whether or not the actions they took were negligent. As such if that is the report says they are negligent they you may have a claim.
Depending on how long the pain lasted will depend on any sums of compensation you will receive. But it would be down to a medical expert to say whether or not there has been negligence. You may find a Solicitor who would act on a no win no fee basis for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes , one more question. How prevalent are MRSA cases and are they difficult to deal with in litigation terms ? .
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Litigation is never certain of course and you need to show they were negligent, but here are successful cases.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry Alex, did you mean 'there' are successful cases ?.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Yes there are.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay,thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex. I will of course provide a rating however I have chased the question on hospital acquired MRSA for quite some time using Google search without much success . I was therefore looking for a typical example of negligence where HA-MRSA is involved and especially the use of IV for over 6 weeks where the veins in my arms collapsed from overuse . I could have easily gone to the 'Ask a doctor' rather than ask a legal question however I was looking for a more definitive answer based on cases brought to a solicitor's office or court. Thanks, Gerald
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
As a lawyer I can't tell you if they have been negligent as I am not medically trained. But do I think you have a case, at this stage it sounds like you have,.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I understand that you are not medically qualified however on what basis are HA-MRSA cases brought into a solicitor's office and if you cannot answer this question where is the best source to investigate this on my own ?.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
They get an opinion from a medical expert and then if that expert says there is negligence, then and only then would there be a claim.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On what basis is negligence applicable to HA-MRSA cases using examples of cases brought before the courts or by insurance settlements . I already know that an expert will make that determination but I need actual examples to judge whether I was treated inappropriately or not. If you can supply at least two examples of cases processed through the legal system then that would satisfy my question and clarify the situation fully so you can get paid.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.
I can't give examples as I am not medically qualified. It would be up to an expert to say what is and what is not negligent. Then and only then could a case be considered.
Does that clarify?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It clarifies nothing but I will no longer push the issue in looking for information into what constitutes negligence in HA- MRSA cases through examples of legal cases/settlements whether it comes from responsibility in acquiring the staph infection or treatment of that infection. I was not looking for a medical qualification as to whether I have or have not a case, I needed only examples of legal cases where settlements were awarded for inappropriate medical practice leading to or treating MRSA. Telling me I need an expert is telling me nothing as I already knew that is required, what I did not know is what legally constitutes an action against a hospital for HA-MRSA.