12826847

An emergency: Are there any privacy/confidentiality laws around

Customer Question

An emergency:
Are there any privacy/confidentiality laws around private texts (mobile) and email?
I have shared some info with someone that I fear may use it to harm me. Are they allowed to share it with others, info that was only intended to be shared only with them?
Lastly, is there a way I can state I hold the right to my private communications and do not wish any of this info to be shared, or does it go without saying?
Gratefully,
Alice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry if this is bad news but if you have shared information with a person then they are free to do with them as they wish unless they break other laws.
You cannot restrict to whom they should these messages.
I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jo,Thank you for your answer. This is really bad news. This person is about to create serious trouble at work for me.
There is no way I can at least warn them against using it in a way that can harm me (defamation, breech of trust/confidentiality?)?
These were private messages, intended to be read only by him.I am really devastated but thank you for your advice.Many thanks,Alice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is not defamation if it is true I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but I'm afraid once you have sent messages you cannot control to whom they are shown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear God.Learning a big lesson today. Thank you, ***** ***** C.Have a good evening.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Five stars from me, and all the best.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
And you.