12826847

My father assaulted me on Sunday 24th January in front of witnesses

Customer Question

My father assaulted me on Sunday 24th January in front of witnesses by pushing me over onto a very hard concrete floor and the police were called. I have been to the doctor and the bruising to my left posterior has been recorded and photographed by the police. The doctor also noted that i hurt my back left shoulder and twisted my already twisted right ankle from a previous non related injury and wearing a boot for it at the time if the incident. Recently and prior to this I also suffered mental abuse and have a conversation recorded on my iPad. My father also used to hit me as a child but my mother who is now dead would never stand up to him or support me. He punched me quite hard in the jaw when I was 17 in 1976 and I have since had a slight displacement to my face. My mother again was a witness but was too afraid to speak out. Today when I knelt down I noticed it was very painful to kneel on my left knee and so I will be visiting the doctor to have this recorded as well. I wish to seek compensation and wondered whether this is possible as a criminal assault or do I have to Perdue it as a civil action. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You could sue him but you will almost certainly not get legal aid to do so.
It is only worth doing if he is able to pay.
I'm afraid you are time barred to pursue the matters from your childhood. You had six years to do so from the date of your eighteenth birthday and, on my calculations, you would be out of time. You can always apply to extend time but It is not often lifted.
You also have to show that this injury was caused by his actions. On the face of it, I'm not sure what the relevance of a knee weakness would be but I suppose I haven't seen the evidence.