12826847

Some time ago August i believe we wrote to 120 people in uppingham

Customer Question

some time ago August i believe we wrote to 120 people in uppingham informing them that a local person was selling drugs in uppingham. Through their investigations the police found out that we had sent out this warning and asking if anybody had any information that would support our claim would they contact the police on the numbers that we gave. We admitted fault and as a form of punishment it was suggested that we both write a letter of apology to the person now called the victim which we both refused to do. We were advised that the best action that would mean that we did not have to go to court was to attend a Victim support course in Leicester which is this Saturday 30th. We have just been informed that the person concerned has been sent to Leicester crown court found guilty of supplying drugs given a prison sentence which has been suspended for 2 years.Do we still have to attend on Saturday because the court has said he is not a victim he was guilty.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
If the person has pleaded guilty then they are admitting guilt for the offence. I would speak to victim support or police and ask if you need to attend, but it seems to be based on the plea you probably don't have to.
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi The issue is not that you defamed him which would be unearthed by the fact of the plea. The issue is that he is saying that you harassed him by making indirect contact with him - writing to 120 people was likely to get back to him. That still stands whatever the pleas. The course you are on is part of restorative justice. If you don't do it then they could prosecute you for harassment. You are free to take that risk as you do have a defence on the basis of freedom of speech but you should be aware of the risk. Nobody can make you attend a restorative justice course but if you do not there are risks. Please do not fall into the trap of thinking that the plea of guilty to a relevant offence has changed anything. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the issue is not that you defamed him which would be unearthed by the fact of the plea.The issue is that he is saying that you harassed him by making indirect contact with him - writing to 120 people was likely to get back to him. That still stands whatever the pleas.The course you are on is part of restorative justice. If you don't do it then they could prosecute you for harassment. You are free to take that risk as you do have a defence on the basis of freedom of speech but you should be aware of the risk.Nobody can make you attend a restorative justice course but if you do not there are risks.Please do not fall into the trap of thinking that the plea of guilty to a relevant offence has changed anything.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo