29905560

I have had my car stored in my ex business partners garage

I have had my car stored in my ex business partners garage for over 2 years, within the last 4 months we are no longer business partners now
I have just been sent an invoice of £8500 for having my car stored there from september when we went out seperate was.
What shall i do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was a storage fee agreed at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No... Was just a project car that we were both working on
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Would he use his garage for storage otherwise, where he would actually charge someone for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No... It was from his last business building custom cars he has never used it for storage
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
This is a rather opportunistic attempt to get money out of you and it is unlikely to succeed. First of all, there was no agreement that there would be any storage charges – if he was going to try and charge you, then the charges should have been given to you and agreed at the outset, giving you the opportunity to decide whether you wanted to pay these or store the car elsewhere. He has also not given you notice to state that you will start getting charged and that you have a time limit to remove the car before such charges started being applied. Finally, he does not use the garage for commercial or other paid storage so he cannot try and argue that he has lost revenue by having your car in there. And the value does seem extortionate, you would not pay such high costs in a normal commercial storage unit of the same size so they are too high and would be unreasonable. As such you can refuse to pay anything and just make attempts to get your car back to try an avoid further issues with what is now obviously a difficult person. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you