75100385

I am buying a leasehold flat and have a small dog the contract

Customer Question

I am buying a leasehold flat and have a small dog the contract states no birds animals or reptiles. Would this mean definitely no dogs, even though I believe there are cats there?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is this a term of the lease or is it the management company that have said?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spoken with the owner and it is in the contract, not sure from whom. But they did speak with the management team who said they have know similar contracts and as long as it is not abused - it normally doesn't raise an issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I hadn't asked the question would I just have moved in
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. In that case I would get permission from the Freeholder, that way there is no issue. But if you have a dog then it is classed as an animal and against the lease. So yes it would apply to dogs. Indeed it would also apply to cats as well and they would need to adopt a common policy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how would you advice me to proceed, would you think this is a standard clause thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would just seek permission of the freeholder in writing.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/