12826847

We have new neighbour and they insist parking on their drive

Customer Question

We have new neighbour and they insist parking on their drive which puts one of their four cars immediately facing into our lounge window. Could you please tell me if there is anything I can do about this, it is very upsetting. It is a poorly designed driveway but surely they can not intimidate and upset us like this. We have to sit in the lounge with curtains drawn even though I have asked them to try and park differently. Please please help me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am really sorry but it is not.
If he is parking on his own driveway then that is the purpose of the driveway. It might be poorly designed but that isn't their fault and it doesn't mean he cannot use it.
I'm very sorry but there is no reason he cannot park on his driveway even if he is visible for your lounge.
You don't have to draw your curtain though if you choose not to. No reason you have to block the view of his vehicle. If he has asked you to do that then that is a nonsense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo. I think I knew what the answer would be. It really is extremely bad the way the drive comes across the front of my lounge and there is no reason why he can't park a little bit over. Instead he has parked four cars immediately in the front of our house and my lounge. At the same time he is damaging my shrubs that I have put in as a screen, can I do anything about that? I have lived here with my husband, who is ill, for the past 35 years and never had problems like this before. We are housebound moreorless because of my husband and something like this is obviously upsetting for us. I am sorry to have troubled you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not if they over hang onto his drive I'm afraid.
If they do not and he is just encroaching on your shrubs then that might be different and it would give rise to a claim for the value of the shrubs.
It is no problem about troubling us!