Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My partner hired a plumber to fit a new bathroom who was recommended.

My partner hired a plumber to fit a new bathroom who was recommended. My partner supplied 95% of the materials bath, tiles etc. It was made clear when the plumber came to look @ the job my partner told him he only had £2500 and would be paying cash, the plumber replied that's fine it wont be any more than that and should only take 7 - 10 days.
The plumber was 1 week late starting the project. My partner & I gutted the bathroom back to its bare bones to give the plumber a head start which was also agreed. My partner moved out to make the job more convienant for the plumber, my partner visited each day to make sure there where no issues and that he had everything to fit the bathroom. The plumber had to supply some materials which was expected totalling £368.00. During the job my partner asked the plumber how much longer for completion and it wont be anymore than £2500, the plumber response was another week and no its fine don't worry. 28 days later the bathroom still wasn't completed, the plumber said he had to go onto another job and will be back. 5 months later my partner received a invoice from the plumber with a bill over £6000!!! The bathroom was a straight forward fit, replacing old with new fitting in the same spot, retiling floor to ceiling & fitting new downlighers and mirrors with lights, the bathroom is only 2mtrs x 2mtrs.
The plumber didn't send a written quotation and was based on a verbal agreement only. I know it has to be proofed but what are the chances it will fall into my partners favour if it cannot be resolved amicably?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you approached the plumber to ask on what basis he has charge £6000 when he has verbally agreed £2500?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenny
My name is***** as he is only holiday @ the moment & not sure on his return, he said he will be contacting us. Attached to the invoice was the number of hours & days he worked 123.5hrs @ £38.00ph this wasn't agreed or mentioned @ the time. Cash on completion so it would go through his books as he was near to retirement
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok well you should refuse to pay more than the £2500 that was verbally agreed. If he agreed that price whether verbally or in writing and did not tell you anything about an hourly rate then he cannot now charge you more. If he takes you to court for the remainder of the money then the judge would have to rely on oral evidence. The lack of a written quotation will actually assist you I think as a tradesman would be expected to keep a written record of quotations and do things in writing. I would definitely resist this and say you will not pay more than agreed. Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it was agreed £2500 on completion the bathroom is only 95% completed, to complete the project we would need to get in two trades men a tiler and a electrician. Although the plumber wrote down the days & hours he worked will this go against us although it wasn't agreed hourly
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susan, the fact that he has kept a record of his hours will not go against you if he did not tell you he was charging on an hourly basis. If he is now finding it has ta***** *****er than expected that is not your problem, he cannot change midway through the job. If he has quoted to finish the work then that is what he should do, you should ask him to complete the job and say you will report him to trading standards and sue him for the money it will cost you to put it right in breach of contract if he does not.If you require any further information please let me know, if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid by Just Answer for the work I do on your question. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jenny
I have no more Q,s
Sue
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating Sue, all the best.