12826847

Why have I got a notice of fine and collection order

Customer Question

Why have I got a notice of fine and collection order for a car that has a confirmed SORN on it? The car has a gearbox problem and couldn't drive it from the time it got registered. There was a few months in between declaring SORN and getting it registered though. DVLA has confirmed they have the SORN.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. Where was the vehicle parked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's been in my garage all this time because of the gear box problem - it has to be overhauled and is a costly exercise.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm finding it difficult to understand why you have received the fine if the vehicle has been off the road and you declared a SORN. Did DVLA send you a notice before issuing proceedings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not that I've received. I've paid the fine just to avoid proceedings going further but I want a legal standing to contest this and hopefully get the refund back plus get it taken off my record if it goes to that. What other reasons do they have? What about the time from getting it registered to declared SORN - it was a few months the exact number of months I cannot remember but probably 3 moths
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I'm finding it difficult to understand. Perhaps we could speak on the phone?